So you know about my history and you know about the issues up until July last year…
Suffice to say, the symptoms got worse, it actually got to the point where I would walk out the door for work and have to turn back due to the bleeding being so bad. I was even admitted to A and E at St Vincent’s Hospital on several occasions due to the bleeding being so bad that I would black out. Still my specialist did nothing! I was prescribed Norethiserone, which is basically progesterone, which echos the effects of the mirena, without having a mirena. They also refused to give me a scan when I was in A and E and advised that if I wanted a scan, I’d have to book in with a specialist once I was discharged – at a cost of $500 I might add!!!!
What I couldn’t fathom the whole time was that they were more than happy to treat the symptoms, but not the cause! Bearing in mind this was now August, the specialist advised that I should have a scan in October and that they would make a call then on next steps… October?! That was over two months away and my symptoms weren’t getting any easier at all, in fact if anything they were getting worse.
You could now clearly see the bump of the fibroid in my stomach. I looked like a pregnant lady, people were actually giving up seats for me on the bus and train – touched yes, mortified, hell yes!!! I was beginning to feel faint all the time, my legs kept ceasing up, even after only walking 50 metres! I was not able to go to the gym as even a yoga class resulted in bleeding through my clothes and having to leave half way through.
As someone who likes to go to the gym three times a week, it was quite a shock to the system as I couldn’t even do a power walk round Rushcutters and this left me lethargic sick and in need of a change of clothes again! I felt like every part of who I was, was quickly disappearing before my eyes. I didn’t want my boyfriend (who I was in relatively early days with), colleagues and friends thinking that this was who I was!
I decided that something had to be done, it wasn’t going to be something small either!!
I knew my surgeon very well in the UK, he had been operating on me since I was 18 and was very familiar with my case. I knew that if I went back to the UK and got a second opinion I would feel better! I knew deep down that I needed to fibroid to be removed in order for my life to return to normal 100%, yet didn’t know what that would entail .. Would I lose my uterus? Would my womb be damaged forever, would I have to have a hysterectomy at 27 years old?! All I knew that I was going backwards if anything as things were and I had to do something.
Knowing that I would have to make an appointment with my specialist and that he usually has a minimum of a six week waiting list, I figured that I would need to be back in the UK for at least three months (I also knew there was a strong possibility that it would take a lot longer than three months, I was also toying with the idea of staying a lot longer in my head, I was missing family and friends and was keen to get some experience working in a top UK PR agency to widen my experience with the right role… who knows how long!!) to factor in diagnosis, advice, treatment (hopefully surgery) and recovery. I was so lucky that I’d secured my PR in Australia as I knew that this was where I wanted to live and work and grow old. I just had to keep telling myself that this was just a bump in the road!
In addition to handing in my notice at work, I also spoke to my partner and made the decision that we should do our own thing whilst I went back to the UK. I didn’t want him to have to wait around for me, I was also so aware of the fact that I hadn’t been the best GF in the past few months as my symptoms got worse and I figured that if we are meant to be we will be. I needed to go home and concentrate on getting myself fixed and perhaps selfishly I didn’t think it was fair to expect him to wait here in Sydney. Just because my life was being put on hold, I didn’t see why his should too! I’m a big believer in what will be will be!
I handed in my four weeks notice to work in September and booked my flights home on November 12th. I decided to go travelling for two weeks before I returned to the UK to at least have something to look forward to – although that wasn’t without its hiccups!!
Whilst in Byron Bay I booked a scuba diving trip, which is a real passion of mine! It was due to depart at 8am the next morning, so I had an early night. Only that was in vein as I was up all night hemorrhaging heavily! It got to the point where I got up for a shower at 7am and collapsed and passed out due to the blood loss. I was rushed into hospital and ended up being kept in over night as my blood count was so low. Not the best hey?!
After returning to Sydney I had a week to say ‘see you later’ to all of my friends and on 12th November I boarded a one-way flight back to Manchester…
More to come about my treatment in the UK and next steps…